This is FUN!
Stow Youth Soccer is proud to develop its young referees as well as our soccer players.
Stow Youth Soccer Ref-in-Training program has been accredited by the Mass Youth Soccer GRASSROOTs REFEREE program.
These youngsters learn the basics of refereeing and after finishing the training part of the program, they will officiate the in-town Grade 12 games.
Referees who excel in refereeing (based on observation and standards set by MSRC) are offered an alternate, streemlined, reduced cost path for a USSF Grade 8 certification.
This training begins in August before the fall season and March in the Spring season.
Note: Limited number of enrollments are open for the RIT program
- Candidate must be 12 years of age and under 14 years of age
- Candidates attend a 2 hour session (combination of desk and field) reviewing the Laws of the Game. These sessions will be held sometime in August and youngsters will be contacted for dates and times once registered. The spring session will be held in March.Candidates must attend a 1 hour field training to review the modified rules for Grade 12 and all field signals.
- Candidates attend a 1 hour field training to review the modified rules for Grade 12 and all field signals.
- Candidates attend two Grade 12 games to watch and review what happens in a real game with an Advisor present..
- Candidates will officiate a scrimmage held during the Grade 12 teams practices before being assigned to games.
Once certified as a Grassroot Referee:
- Refs-in-training will be assigned to Grade 12 games once availability has been determined.
- An adult or referee advisor will be present for all games that are officiated in the fall and spring seasons that a ref is assigned.
- A club Grassroot parent will be on the field during all games.
For information and registration, please contact Maria Mpelkas at